Thursday, July 10, 2008

Books and Stuff

I wanted to share a great experience with you, and maybe someone will have a similar encounter. I went into a paperback trade store the other day. I was speaking with the woman that works there and I told her about teaching and BCTR and all of that good stuff. She told me that when I get my placement (yes, I'm gonna get the party, I can see it now....) that I should come back and take as many books as I would like. Obviously, I am not going to go in and be super greedy, but every little bit helps in developing your new classroom library! I just thought I'd throw that out there because you never know what you may get from people! It's always worth asking, so check out any local places like that that may be near you.

Also - I went online and ordered catalogues from every teacher supply company out there. Everything is way too expensive for my blood, but they are great resources! And it doesn't cost anything to have them sent to you. I looked through two of them tonight and found about a dozen things that I could easily make on my own and spend a fraction of the cost. (really cool stuff too!) I know we are all creative, but it's nice to not have to think so much after some of these very long days.

1 comment:

Kelly Manard said...

Great ideas Heather...definitely think cheap and figure out what can be made using inexpensive materials. Like I said yesterday...a lot of the things I use in the classroom were made with nothing more than index cards, markers and a ziplock baggie!