Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Good Times

Hey Guys!
I want to share something with you all that touches on our conversation that we had today during our framework session. As you know, many standardized tests are deemed unfair due to the many different backgrounds, cultures, and income levels that students may come from. I totally agree with this and many people have for many years now. I am embedding two clips from the show "Good Times". If you 're not familiar with the show, it is a 70's sitcom about a family living in the projects of Chicago. It was created by Norman Lear and lasted for about 8 or 9 years. Anyway, the clips are great examples of the issues with standardized tests. Enjoy!

-Keli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKLIxTrunY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r0UtjDpEfw

3 comments:

lost dolphin said...

Watching those clips was entertaining brought back memorys. I think as teachers going into an urban environment especially elementary school we must suspend our judgement about these kids and what there capable of. Just because your student doesnt like to sit in there seat or ask "may I" doesnt mean they are not capable of wonderful things. At the end of the day we must realize these are children no matter how bad you think they are it would be a disservice to label them trouble makers, future gang members or future drop outs. Growing up in suburban columbia many of my teachers wanted to diagnose me with adhd and put me in special ed. The fact of the matter is I was bored, the teachers instead of teaching to my learning strategy tried to force me to behave and conduct myself in a manner that was alien to me. I am a kinestetic learner so when I took tests I would always be fidgeting because moving helps me concentrate, my teachers thought this was unnaceptable and would sometimes not allow me to finish the test unless I sat perfectly still. So when you go into your classrooms this fall do not make the mistake of thinking you know the future of your kids, YOU DONT but you can give them an opportunity to develop the tools for them to find out themselves.

Jarret.

Kelly Manard said...

Well put Jarret...thank you for sharing.
Thank you to Keli as well for sharing the clips!

Kamprey said...

Wow, my thoughts exactly. When I was a kid a was often bored and finished my assignments quickly, so my teacher thought that I was just goofing off. Luckily, one teacher looked into the matter and I was eventually put into a more advanced class. I also did poorly on test, but excelled in every other area. Teachers couldn't figure me out, until one realized how easily distracted I was. I was put into a separate room to take tests, and what a difference it made. You never know what a students issue may be, until you take the time to look deeper into the situation. It is our job to care and bring the best out of each and every student, no matter what they are perceived to be!